Mechanic Apprentice: (Part-Time)
This position is open until filled.
Perform semi-skilled, skilled and administrative work in maintaining the vehicles and mechanical equipment of the City of South Padre Island. Ensure all City of South Padre Island vehicles and equipment are maintained and repaired in accordance with all Service Manuals, Technical Bulletins, State and Federal Regulations in a timely manner.
- Assist mechanics with repairing vehicles and equipment.
- Cleans and maintains shop equipment and tools.
- Operates various hand tools, including spray gun, sander, grinder, grease gun, hydraulic jack, welding tools, etc.
- Check batteries and fluid levels in equipment and replaces or replenishes as needed;
- Performs lubrication and related maintenance.
- Picks up supplies and parts from vendors or suppliers as necessary.
- Assist with the recovery or recover downed equipment.
- Maintain shop and work areas.
- Ensure all repairs and services or made in accordance with manufactures specifications, all State and Federal Regulations.
- Keep Mechanic and Fleet Foreman informed of the status of repairs and services.
- Maintain accountability of all inventories and stocked items.
- Maintain accountability of all tools and equipment.
- Maintain a written record of repairs and services.
- Operate a variety of diagnostic equipment and a variety of hand, electric and air-driven tools.
- Change and repair tires and tubes.
- Operates tire balancing equipment.
- Provides emergency field assistance to disabled equipment as needed and appropriate.
- Available to work after normal business hours and on weekends as needed.
- Assist with dropping off and picking up of vehicles and equipment.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Capital and/or Fiscal Responsibility
- Responsible for adhering to all City of South Padre Island Purchasing Policies while performing purchasing tasks.
Credentials (minimum preferred)
- Thorough knowledge of automotive mechanics, considerable knowledge of gas and diesel engines, transmission, hydraulics, fire pumps and valves, generators, and welding, price trends and grades or quality of materials and equipment.
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to municipal maintenance and repair activities.
- Working knowledge of the practice, methods, material, and tools used in modern equipment maintenance.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to maintain effective preventive maintenance programs, policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain effective accounting procedures.
- Ability to carry out assigned projects to the completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, vendors and the public.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent plus some specialized training in mechanics, maintenance management or a closely related field.
- Valid State Drivers License.
- One (1) year of related experience or any equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Bilingual: Spanish and English preferred.