Shoreline Maintenance Technician: (Full-Time)
This position is open until filled.
The Shoreline Maintenance Technician performs a variety of semi-skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the process of maintaining the shorelines of South Padre Island. This position is responsible for cleaning and maintaining the coastal resources of South Padre Island including the beach/dune system, access points (beach and bay), boat ramps and other bayside facilities owned and operated by the City.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections and maintenance activity.
- Ensures the proper maintenance of the City’s equipment, tools, and department radios by cleaning, checking, and returning equipment and tools after use.
- Drives vehicles of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel, sand, seaweed or debris. During busy times of the year, driving the City’s motor vehicles may be done in heavily crowded areas.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew.
- Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment.
- Removes debris or material from beach as needed by hand and/or equipment. This could include trash, ocean debris, and any deceased marine animals that may wash in.
- Assist with sample collection and data processing.
- Performs preventative maintenance on all vehicles, equipment, and tools used as required.
- Performs routine inspections and ongoing maintenance to shoreline infrastructure including dune walkovers, beach and bay access points and the associated amenities (showers, restroom facilities, parking areas), boat ramps, bay access facilities, and West side street ending bulkheads.
- Responsible for landscaping activities (mowing, weeding, etc.) within the City’s beach accesses and at the end of the West side streets.
- Performs carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work as required on projects.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist City staff with enforcement of local ordinances by informing citizens and staff when issues arise.
- Responsible for any items that are given to the employee by the City. This includes tools, equipment, personal protective equipment (PPE), and wearing apparel (uniforms).
- Provide backup to related positions, as assigned.
- Serves on various employee or other committees as assigned.
- The employee may be required to work long hours which include early mornings and/or late evenings. The employee is subject to being on call when needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
FISCAL BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY
- Responsible for adhering to all City of South Padre Island Purchasing Policies while performing purchasing tasks.
- Responsible for the proper use of the issued Fuel Man card used to purchase gasoline and/or diesel for equipment and vehicles.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of related work experience in increasingly responsible maintenance work or a related field; or any equivalent combination of education and experience, equivalency to be determined by the City.
- A valid state driver’s license is required or you must be able to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
- Bilingual: Spanish and English preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction, carpentry, plumbing and repair activities.
- Skill in the operation of the listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time while remaining safe.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Dump truck, pickup truck, utility task vehicles (UTVs), utility truck, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, air compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, push and riding mowers, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, telephone, and ditch witch.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and smell. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of equipment and motor vehicles. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to thirty (30) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than one-hundred (100) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee regularly works outside in all types of weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately noisy. While performing the duties of this position the employee will be exposed to direct sunlight on a regular basis.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.