Vehicle Operator: (Full-Time)
This position is open until filled.
Performs a variety of transportation-related work, including: driving heavy machinery capable of carrying up to 35 persons and their possessions in a safe, timely manner, exerting due care for the driving, riding and walking public; general upkeep of City vehicles and vehicle storage area; various reports and pre & post trip vehicle inspections; and assists in fulfilling the operating policies and procedures of the Transit Department.
- Operates heavy machinery while transporting the public in a safe and timely manner, adhering to various City approved routes and schedules.
- Conducts pre and post trip inspections of vehicles, correctly reporting any problems or deficiencies.
- Greets and assists the public in a friendly, courteous manner; responds to inquires from employees, citizens and others; and refers, when necessary, to appropriate persons.
- Keeps City vehicles clean on a daily basis – sweeps interior, washes interior and exterior, disposes of trash.
- Maintains vehicle storage and office area in a clean manner.
- Prepares the necessary daily paperwork reporting passenger counts and vehicle / situation discrepancies.
- Provide information to the public to assist them in locating services and business establishments.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Capital and/or Fiscal Responsibility
- Responsible for adhering to all City of South Padre Island Purchasing Policies while performing purchasing tasks.
Credentials (minimum preferred)
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and to effectively meet and deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability to operate vehicle in congested areas in all types of climatic conditions.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of standard business arithmetic, including percentages and decimals.
- Knowledge of record keeping, report preparation, filing methods and records management techniques.
- Knowledge of area streets, geography and community.
- Ability to work irregular hours and shift times.
- Formal Education/Certification/Licenses
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Have a commercial Driver's License (CDL A or B) with passenger endorsement.
- Have a certificate showing satisfactory completion of a Defensive Driving Course within the last twelve (12) months.
- Have passed a U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) qualified physical for commercial transportation operators within the previous twenty-four (24) month period.
- Have no more than two (2) moving violations or accidents within the last three (3) years.
- Have passed an initial pre-employment FTA-approved drug test and continue to pass random drug and alcohol tests.
- Prior Experience
- Two (2) years experience in a related field or any combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to be determined by the employer.